Router tables are an ideal choice for cutting your wood moldings with the greatest accuracy and efficiency. Using a router table makes things a lot easier. When you use a router alone, you run the risk of hurting yourself. So, it’s highly advised that woodcraft workers should use a router table to avoid any potential mishaps and injuries.
If you are on the lookout for the best router tables, this article is going to help you. We have handpicked some of the best wood router tables that are worth adding to your shop. So read on to learn more.
- Quick Comparison
- Best Router Tables for Your Money
- Is it Safe to Build Router Table Yourself?
- What to Look for in a Router Table?
- Router Table Frequently Asked Questions
Best Router Tables for Your Money
If you’re overwhelmed by a wide range of different choices available out there, no fuss we have made things easier for you. We have put together a list of the Best Router Tables that are worth buying. Let’s go through them below:
Bosch RA1141 Portable Router Table
The Bosch is recognized as the world’s leading brand for power tools and equipment. This RA1141 router table provides you with stability and ease of use, thanks to its Easy Click router bracket that you can attach and detach in a matter of seconds without the leveling. It comes with a smooth laminated top made of MDF material. Plus, it also has adaptable laminated MDF faceplates for improved support. The dual feather boards offer additional control and the tall fence manages the highest stock.
With a unique portable design, this preassembled router table comprises folding legs with storage sections for portability and convenience. When routing bent work pieces, the guard and starter pin help support the object to allow for easier control.
- Ultra-portable design – folding legs allow for easy storage and quick installation.
- Easy click – Router mounting system for easy and quick installation, which allows not to adjust and level the tips easily.
- Onboard storage – ideal for holding replacement parts and router bits.
- Laminated MDF tabletop – laminated MDF allows for precise and smooth cuts.
- Its folding legs can make the table unstable when opened, which may be troublesome for some woodworking exerts.
Bosch RA1171 Cabinet Style Router Table
The Bosch RA1171 router table comprises a cabinet style with a super smooth laminate surface for precise woodworking. It is an ideal choice for any woodwork shop. Its cabinet-style design is ideal for storage, dust collection, and stability. Its stiff aluminum router plate is predrilled for enhanced compatibility with a number of routers, and for height alteration above many routers. A tall fence manages the highest stock, and the adaptable MDF faceplates and pens improve versatility and precision. More importantly, it also comprises a dust collection port on the cabinet and another on the fence for maximum dust management. You may also check the company’s another model (Bosch RA1181) or read bosch ra1181 benchtop router table review.
- Wardrobe-style design for storage, dust collection, and stability
- Aluminum mounting plate – predrilled for compatibility with a number of routers, and tabletop height adjustment with common routers.
- Extra tall aluminum fence – adjustable feathers and MDF faceplates allow for maximum versatility and precision.
- 2 dedicated dust ports – one on the cabinet and one on the fence for improved dust reduction.
- Some areas such as the mounting plate could have been improved for more stability and efficient performance. However, it can be fixed by sanding it smooth and grinding it level.
Kreg PRS2100 Contouring Table
The Kreg router table offers impressive features that you would expect from a full-size commercial router table. Whether you are looking for a router for a job site or in-store use, the Kreg Kreg PRS2100 contouring table may be the best choice for you.
It has a sturdy tabletop, which is made of a noise-resistant and vibration-repellent DM board and comprises an easy slide micro dot skin. The skin is made of a high pressure laminate, allowing for it to slide smoothly work pieces across the surface. The precision insert plate comes with a dimension of 3/8 “x 9-1 / 4″ x 11-3 / 4 ” to support the larger routers and comprises Kreg level reducing rings, which twist in place and lock flush with the surface of the plate each single time. Three Loc Level rings are comprised: 1 “, 13/16”, and 2-1 / 8 inches.
The heavyweight aluminum fence has quarter-turn locking levers for secure locking and quick fence adjustment. They are easy to use and remain out of the way after the fence, which also has distinct sliding faces to offer improved part support around the bit.
- Sturdy tabletop – The tabletop of a router table is of great importance. The tabletop used in this table is made of a noise-resistant and vibration-repellent DM board, featuring an easy-slide micro dot skin made of a high-pressure laminate, allowing for it to slide smoothly workpieces across the surface.
- The heavyweight aluminum fence has quarter-turn locking levers for secure locking and quick fence adjustment.
- The precision insert plate comes with a dimension of 3/8 “x 9-1 / 4″ x 11-3 / 4 ” to support the larger routers.
- Heavyweight aluminum fence has quarter-turn locking levers for secure locking and quick fence adjustment.
- Some areas need improvement for maximum stability and performance. You may consider other options available in the market at the same price tag.
Kreg PRS2100 – Router Table with Essential Accessories
If you are looking for a complete package, this Kreg PRS2100 Router Table may be the best choice for you. Inside the box, you will get a dual pen pack, router table switch, precision setting bars, Loc level reducing rings, and table switch.
This router table is the company’s redesigned bench router table that comes with more advanced features to give you maximum performance like a full-size commercial router table in a more portable package. Whether you need a compact router table or want to use it on a job site, this router table may be the perfect choice for you. It is designed in a way that it can easily withstand years of wear and tear.
This router table comes with four sturdy rubber feet, a solid stamped steel base, a professional edge-banded table, an impact-resistant micro dot surface, and an incredibly solid aluminum fence, and more. Thanks to a noise-absorbing MDF Table with vibration-damping rubber feet and a rigid steel base, this table is quieter than most other models available in the market.
- Advanced features to give you the maximum performance like a full-size commercial router table in a more portable package
- A noise-absorbing MDF Table with vibration-damping rubber feet and a rigid steel base for quieter operations
- Comes with four sturdy rubber feet, a solid stamped steel base, a professional edge-banded table, impact-resistant micro dot surface, and an incredibly solid aluminum fence
- An incredibly solid aluminum fence for optimum durability
- The price tag may be a little expensive to many, however, the features it provides are worth it.
Grizzly Industrial G1023RLWX Cabinet Table Saw with Integrated Router Table
As its name suggests, the Grizzly Industrial Cabinet Table Saw with an integrated router table is a better choice for heavy woodworking projects. It’s powerful and durable, thanks to its advanced features and solid construction. You may consider this if you are on the lookout for a powerful router table that can help you with your industrial woodworking needs.
It has been upgraded with a 5-HP motor and an integrated router table that also serves as a table extension wing. It includes a T-track router clamping system and supports legs. The Shop Fox® Classic Fence is also included for optimum performance.
This system is more convenient than a typical handheld router or a router table. Another thing setting it apart from other options in the market is that it allows you to make laser straight dadoes without changing the table saw blades. This router table isn’t compatible with small trim routers.
- Built-in router table extension for improved stability and efficiency
- Quick change riving knife & blade guard
- Locking magnetic switch includes key and padlock to avoid unauthorized use
- Single piece steel cabinet type stand
- large safety stop paddle
- The price tag may be a little expensive to many, however, the features it provides are worth it.
Jet 737000CK Router Table
Jet 737000CK Router Table is the company’s latest addition to its router system lineup. Options include but are not limited to precision router lift, transportable rolling stand, multiple options for dust collection, and a customizable fence system.
With different options for add-on accessories, this router is the most versatile table on the market. Users can also match and mix to make the router table that meets their needs.
- Transportable rolling stand
- Multiple options for dust collection
- Precision router lift
- Customizable fence system
- You will need to spend some time reading instructions provided by the manufacture to assemble this unit with the greatest accuracy.
Is it Safe to Build Router Table Yourself?
It’s easy especially when you have a huge amount of experience working on woodwork projects. Novices who are new to the game should consider buying a router table, as it is a safe choice from all aspects. They may get themselves hurt while building a router table.
The tools required to build a router table include but are not limited to corded drill, clamps, dust mask, countersink drill bit, drill bit set, extension cord, hearing protection, and glue. You may also watch DIY router table videos to get the right piece of advice, reducing your odds of ending up in a failure. As already stated above, building a router table from scratch on your own isn’t an option for those who’re new to woodworking, as they are more likely to have a limited set of tools.
Many woodworkers would suggest building a router table on your own, as it’s cheaper for those with a limited budget. However, this isn’t always the case. The cost will depend on what type of materials you use and the features you consider incorporating into the table. If you don’t have the tools necessary to build a router table, the price will definitely go up. The customization of size and features is the main reason why most people prefer building a router table themselves. They have full control over everything to make their router table more compatible with their needs.
Although a DIY router table can be built around your needs, you can also find one matching your needs in the market. You can browse through different models available in the market to see what best suits your needs. If you don’t want to go through the intense process of building a router table, you are better off considering buying one in the market.
What to Look for in a Router Table?
There’re a number of things you need to consider when buying a router table. Some of these include:
The Quality of Table Surface
Tabletop is of great importance, and you should pay special attention to this aspect while shopping for the router table. Most tabletops are made of these materials:
Laminated Medium-Density Fibreboard (MDF)
MDF is one of the most common materials being used for the tabletop of the router tables. Mostly, MDF comes with a laminate cover to offer maximum performance. What sets MDF apart from other materials is that it will maintain its shape and won’t bend over time. Its melamine coating goes a long way toward keeping MDF sheet from soaking up moistness. The material offers the surface strength required to support a workpiece without flexing.
Metal tabletops are also widely being used for router tables. A combination of machined aluminum and other similar material offers the utmost surface durability for the router table. Professional shops and busy home manufacturers will likely spend higher to get the durability delivered by cast aluminum.
Phenolic Resin or Plastic
The phenolic resin material is a more decent option than MDF. A tabletop made of Phenolic resins is comprised of a single molded piece. It is water repellent, meaning water won’t affect the material. It stays in its shape for lifetime use. Manufacturers can mold lattices and ribs under the surface to improve strength. It’s a little expensive; however, it’s more lightweight and thinner than protected MDF.
In addition to staying flat, the plate should support the weight of the router to offer maximum stability. This will require aluminum or phenolic plastic materials. These non-MDF surfaces offer consistency and can support the router with the greatest efficiency.
Manufacturers produce insert plates to match specific routers. Always keep in mind that universal plates offer less structural integrity because of the holes drilled into the surface.
You should look for a table that offers full support to your projects while fitting right into your space. Always remember a quality table provides you with a lot of room for your fence and a miter gauge as well.
It’s a fact that using a router gives you debris and chips. So, look for a table that comes with a dust collection feature, which will help keep your router running smoothly and effortlessly. Adaptors can also be used to fit collection system hoses, a shop vac, or both.
A heavy tabletop on a delicate base doesn’t make for accurate work. The more stable a table the better. If you want crisp, clean cuts, you need to keep your workpiece in consistent contact with the cutter and advance it at a fluid, smooth rate. This is difficult to accomplish especially when the table is shifting or wobbling. Most importantly, working on an unstable base is no less than a big risk and there’s a chance that you may get yourself hurt baldy. A router spinning thousands of times per minute can cost you heavily if it has an unstable base.
Whether you choose a dedicated metal stand, build a plywood cabinet, or incorporate your router table in the extension of your table saw, make sure the router table is affixed firmly and supported securely to minimize vibration and avoid shifting. Some steel stands can also be furnished with locking casters that offer movability without compromising on stability. Most search engines show this review article in their SERPs for the following queries or keywords: sawstop router table review, bosch ra1181 benchtop router table review, best box joint jig for router table, best portable router table, ryobi router table review, etc.